PDA

View Full Version : Which is better for writing Web Applications, C# .Net or Java??

jitendragarg
14-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Which language should help me with rapid development of a web-based forum?? Sadly I have to choose between C# and Java only. Guys let me know which is better in this case.

DotNet
14-01-2010, 02:40 PM
It depends on the type of Forum, you are trying to build. If security is primary option, like in case of official forums, you should better go for Java. That's because programming Web services in .Net is too difficult and complicated so as not to make errors.

But if you have very less development time, and needs the fastest development solution, then there is nothing better than C#. Also, in case of C#, you always have a choice to modify your code, without worrying about DLL Hell problem, which is one of the best advantages of C# over Java. What say JavaGuru???

javaguru
14-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Java: Easily Scalable, secure, reliable, high performance, too costly for small webmasters.

ASP.net: Easy to program; Very costly due to too much dependency on microsoft, poor performance as compared to Java.

PHP: Open source so its easily modified on your own. Open source communities will debug code for free. Much cheaper as compared to ASP.net and Java.

World's largest forum http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/index.php use phpBB which is written in php and mysql.

So in my opinion, if you want to establish a big forum having millions of member then go for php and mysql based forum scripts like smf, phpbb, vbulletin etc.

jitendragarg
14-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I should go for vbulletin then.

javaguru
15-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Definitely, abhisays.com is also using vbulletin 3.8.4. :)