PDA

View Full Version : How to translate PERSEVERANCE into Hindi

iceberg
06-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I'm not able to write Hindi so I hope some of you may be able to help.
I need to find the hindi translation for the word "perseverance"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Perseverance

A friend of mine wants to get this tattooed (in hindi) onto his arm, so as you can imagine, he doesn't want to get this wrong

One translation that was suggested was "धीरज" but my understanding is that this is somewhere between "patience" and "faith"

If you can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rakesh.

Dark Saint Alaick
06-01-2013, 11:31 PM
noun
1. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

2. Theology . continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.

Origin:
1300–50; Middle English perseveraunce < Middle French perseverance < Latin persevērantia. See persevere, -ance

Related forms
per·se·ver·ant, adjective.
non·per·se·ver·ance, noun.
non·per·se·ver·ant, adjective.

Synonyms
1. doggedness, steadfastness. Perseverance, persistence, tenacity, pertinacity imply resolute and unyielding holding on in following a course of action. Perseverance commonly suggests activity maintained in spite of difficulties or steadfast and long-continued application: Endurance and perseverance combined to win in the end. It is regularly used in a favorable sense. Persistence which may be used in either a favorable or an unfavorable sense, implies unremitting (and sometimes annoying) perseverance: persistence in a belief; persistence in talking when others wish to study. Tenacity with the original meaning of adhesiveness, as of glue, is a dogged and determined holding on. Whether used literally or figuratively it has favorable implications: a bulldog quality of tenacity; the tenacity of one's memory. Pertinacity unlike its related word, is used chiefly in an unfavorable sense, that of overinsistent tenacity: the pertinacity of the social climber.

Dark Saint Alaick
06-01-2013, 11:33 PM
perseverance - meaning in Hindi
Pronunciation of perseverance

[Speak!] पर्सविरन्स / पर्सवीरन्स
Meanings of perseverance
Show Transliteration
noun

अध्यवसाय (m)
उद्योग (m)
गम्भीरता
दृढ़ता (f)
दृढ़ता (f)
धीरज
धुन (f)

iceberg
07-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks Dark Saint.

it seems like the closest to "perseverance" are
अध्यवसाय, उद्योग and दृढ़ता
Which of these do you think is the closest to the english word? Thanks again for your help :)

jitendragarg
07-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks Dark Saint.

it seems like the closest to "perseverance" are
अध्यवसाय, उद्योग and दृढ़ता
Which of these do you think is the closest to the english word? Thanks again for your help :)

go for the third one. that is the closest to what you are looking for.

aksh
07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
निरन्तर प्रयास, निरन्तर प्रयत्न, ढ्रढता, दीर्घ प्रयत्न, डटे रहना.

Shirin
22-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Perseverance in English means to be consistently doing something despite not achieving the desired result. Simply put, “to persevere” means “to not give up”. You can use any dictionary online to understand the Hindi meaning of such difficult words.

In hindi, the word can be translated as:
1. डटा रहना
2. किसी भी व्यवसाय या उद्यम में जारी रहना; निरंतर किसी भी परियोजना या पाठ्यक्रम शुरू करने के लिए; काउंटर प्रभाव, विपक्ष या निराशा के बावजूद एक उद्देश्य बनाए रखने के लिए; क्या किया जाता है या नहीं छोड़ने के लिए
3. लगातार रहें, बंद करने से इंकार कर दें

There is no exact one word in Hindi that can translate the exact meaning of perseverance. You can try words like दृढ़ता or धीरज but they don’t exactly meet the sentiment.

rajnish manga
25-02-2019, 09:59 AM
बहुत सुन्दर विवेचन. हार्दिक धन्यवाद.