PDA

View Full Version : Hindi Translation

LostInTranslation
13-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Hi, everyone. I studied a little Hindi some years ago, but I was never any good, plus I forgot a lot of what I learned.

Now I have been asked to translate two simple phrases into Hindi, and I thought I would try to get some help here, just to make sure I get them right.

The first one is:

"...is happiness"

which I think should be:

... ख़ुशी है

The second one is a bit more tricky:

"You are being called." i.e. "(Someone) is calling for you."

What's the best way of saying this in Hindi?

I'm guessing I need to use the verb बुलाना, but I'm not sure about the correct use of the passive voice.

P.S. In case you're wondering, this is for a musical composition where the choir will be singing some phrases in a variety of languages, including Hindi.

dipu
13-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Nice one , good going

dipu
13-01-2013, 06:12 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg259/scaled.php?server=259&filename=textu.gif&res=landing

LostInTranslation
13-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum :)

I tried to translate the last sentence, and this is what I got:

तुम्हें बुलाया जा रहा है

Is this correct? Is there a way to say this with fewer words?

ndhebar
13-01-2013, 07:18 PM

तुम्हें बुलाया जा रहा है

I think you are right.......

LostInTranslation
13-01-2013, 07:30 PM
I think you are right.......

Great! Thanks! Is there an alternative way of expressing the same thing?

dipu
13-01-2013, 07:30 PM

तुम्हें बुलाया जा रहा है

right :bravo:

LostInTranslation
13-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Would it make sense to just say:

तुम्हें बुलाया है

or is that totally wrong?

jitendragarg
13-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Would it make sense to just say:

तुम्हें बुलाया है

or is that totally wrong?

this will be past perfect tense, IMO. Exact translation for this line will be "you have been called". previous option was correct translation, as you are using the term "being" which denotes continuity. "raha hai" will most definitely be a part of the exact translation. although, considering that you are doing it for a song, try using different words like "pukaar".

Alternatively, you can simply tell us the two lines that you want to rhyme, and we can suggest other options. Hindi is not used in the purest form in most cases, so even mixing up other Indian languages work well. Every Indian song does the same, so don't worry about it.

jitendragarg
14-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Also, to add, depending on context, you might get easier translation for full sentence. A lot of words in Hindi (and in almost every other language) are context based, e.g. "sukh", and "anand" both mean happiness, but are totally different in usage.

LostInTranslation
14-01-2013, 12:41 AM
this will be past perfect tense, IMO. Exact translation for this line will be "you have been called". previous option was correct translation, as you are using the term "being" which denotes continuity. "raha hai" will most definitely be a part of the exact translation. although, considering that you are doing it for a song, try using different words like "pukaar".

Alternatively, you can simply tell us the two lines that you want to rhyme, and we can suggest other options. Hindi is not used in the purest form in most cases, so even mixing up other Indian languages work well. Every Indian song does the same, so don't worry about it.

Thanks a lot! I actually think it might work with past perfect tense.

As for the verb, I think the context is somewhat spiritual, maybe not "being called by God", but something elevated and important. Would "pukaar" be a better choice in that situation?

तुम्हें पुकारा है "You have been called"

aksh
14-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Great! Thanks! Is there an alternative way of expressing the same thing?

" आपको पुकारा जा रहा है.."
" आपके लिये पुकार हो रही है.. "

these two may be the alternatives...

jitendragarg
14-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks a lot! I actually think it might work with past perfect tense.

As for the verb, I think the context is somewhat spiritual, maybe not "being called by God", but something elevated and important. Would "pukaar" be a better choice in that situation?

तुम्हें पुकारा है "You have been called"

most commonly used word in that scenario is "bulava". although, "pukaar" will work fine too. again, use which suits better for rhyme, instead of worrying about exact words.

arvind
14-01-2013, 04:52 PM
इसका अंग्रेजी अनुवाद बताने का कष्ट करे -

मै रोज दस बकरियों को खिलाता हूँ।

aksh
14-01-2013, 04:56 PM
इसका अंग्रेजी अनुवाद बताने का कष्ट करे -

मै रोज दस बकरियों को खिलाता हूँ।

I daily feed ten goats.
I feed ten goats daily.
I provide fodder for ten goats daily.