PDA

View Full Version : Linux Users general chat thread.

alberkhav
30-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Rather than start a new thread for every version of Linux I thought I'd start a general Linux thread.

I've been trying out Fedora 15 which is the first distro to use Gnome 3. I've read through the reviews and it seems Gnome 3 is causing as much fuss as Ubuntu's Unity.

First things first, Fedora 15 found all my hardware on my laptop and I was lucky to have Gnome 3 actually work (I seem to be in the minority as loads can't get it to work on their hardware). It's a strange experience, as there is no desktop as we know it on Fedora 15. Each application when opened goes to a new workspace and I found it really confusing.

There is no minimise option at all, you either have a window open or you don't. And as for customising your desktop, there is no optionn for this either. I don't know if people will "get" Gnome 3 in it's present form, Unity is much more friendly, even if you didn't like it.

Another distro worth getting is Mepis 11, lovely looking and easy to use and set-up. It's a nice change from Ubuntu or Mint and seems to be much faster too.

Please share your thoughts or comments on any distros you've tried or use.