PDA

View Full Version : मिल्खा सिंह

dipu
27-07-2013, 06:21 PM
http://dd508hmafkqws.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/styles/article_node_view/public/MilkhaSingh-AFP-24-07-2013_0_0.jpg

Milkha Singh, the runner, was born at Secunderabad

Milkha Singh will “never, ever forget“ that sixth place in a gruelling cross-country race he “had to“ run, while he was stationed at Secunderabad's Electrical Mechanical Engineering Centre.

“That night at the barracks at Bolaram, there were Bengalis, Madrasis, Punjabis, Rajasthanis and suddenly, just before dinner... I found myself on the shoulders of my company's men. They were thrilled at my win. Nobody knew who I was, nobody knew that I was the Milkha who had to run 10 km to school and back... that day, for the first time in my life, I was told I could run. And I was thoroughly proud of myself,“ he reveals. Also, from that day, began Milkha's “training“.

“My coach, Hawaldar Gurdev Singh, took me out one day and pointed to the ground. He then told me to run a 400. I was surprised. 400? `I can easily run 400', I told Gurudev. And that's when he explained that the run had to be in full steam. I ran a complete circle of the ground, and came first. You know, I became quite the hit after that race.”

Life in Hyderabad too, was turning out to be a welcome change for young Milkha, whose only joy until then was “finding cool grass to sit on“ while being taught at a mosque in Muzaffargarh city of Punjab Province (the region is now part a of Pakistan).

“Arey, fantastic weather. That's what I remember the most. My salary was `39, eight annas. On Sundays, our day off, we used to make a bee-line for the bicycles that were on rent for two paise. After landing one, my gang and I used to take off to Charminar, the lanes of old city and yes, made it a point to grab some biryani. The food was very good,” Milkha remembers.

It's been at least 15 years since Milkha's last Hyderabad visit.

“All my friends have now passed away . I'm the only one left from my batch. Some dozens of us Army guys ran those first races at the barracks in Secunderabad. I don't think anyone else is alive now. I have no idea who is left. But let me tell you But let me tell you this. Milkha Singh, the runner, was born at Secunderabad. Some of my best memories are from the twin cities. And those memories, I'll take them to the grave.”

+++
Inspirational and motivational words from the legend himself.. Sir I am a Hyderabadi and I am proud that you have invented yourself in Hyderabad..We all Indians are proud about your sporting achievements and take you as an inspiration not only for us but also for the future generations..You said that 'some of my best memories are from the twin cities. And those memories, I'll take them to the grave'. But we want you to live for another 100 years and continue to be an inspiration.Jai Hind!
+++

- http://www.deccanchronicle.com/130727/sports-other-sports/article/milkha-singh-runner-was-born-secunderabad