PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis retires from international cricket

dipu
18-08-2013, 05:31 PM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/157300/157379.2.jpg

Kyle Jarvis, the Zimbabwe fast bowler, has retired from international cricket. Jarvis opted out of the upcoming series against Pakistan to take up a county offer and stated he will not return to play cricket in Zimbabwe.

Jarvis issued a statement which said: "I have held off a few opportunities over the last few months but my decision was made about a week ago when the pay disputes arose and I felt my time to leave had come.

"I have retired from international cricket to pursue a county and global T20 career. We have had a few teams interested but me and my agents have agreed on a three-year deal at a top English county.

"I really hope the fans and public can understand my reasons for leaving, as job security is the main factor. I informed my team-mates yesterday that I would be leaving and they were supportive and fully understood why I was doing this. I then sat with the managing director and explained my position and we both left on good terms.

"Zimbabwe will always be my home, and I would just like to thank everyone for their continued support over the past few years. I wish my team-mates and coaching staff the best of luck for the forthcoming Pakistan series."

Jarvis, 24, took 30 wickets in eight Tests at an average of 31.73 and 27 wickets in 24 ODIs. He also played nine T20Is in which he picked up 10 wickets.

After Zimbabwe's tour to New Zealand in early 2012, Jarvis so impressed the Central Districts management, he was contracted to them for the remainder of the season. He took seven wickets in two Plunket Shield matches and five wickets in eight HRV Cup matches. At the time, there was talk Jarvis was considering staying in New Zealand in order to qualify to play for them, but he returned to Zimbabwe.

Jarvis is not the only player to turn his back on Zimbabwe in recent times. Craig Ervine rejected a winter contract to take up a club cricket deal in the UK while it is understood that Charles Coventry, who has not been contracted to Zimbabwe Cricket, is also considering a career elsewhere.

Jarvis' retirement will further dent Zimbabwe's preparations for the series against Pakisan, which has already been marred by a pay dispute. With senior seamer Chris Mpofu still unfit, the bowling responsibility will lie with Brian Vitori, who has struggled for form recently, Tendai Chatara, who impressed in West Indies this year but is still inexperienced, and Michael Chinouya, who has played only two ODIs.

Firdose Moonda is ESPNcricinfo's South Africa correspondent

RSS Feeds: Firdose Moonda
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.