View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #147
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: नारी विमर्श

Mitchelle Z. Rosaldo and Nonnerl O. Keohane in there book, “Feminist Theory, A critique of Ideology” have summed up three forms of women’s consciousness. Those three forms can also be traced in these poetesses. Those are the ‘feminine’, ‘female’ and ‘feministic’ consciousness. The first form ‘feminine consciousness’ is the way in which women are described by the other’s “gaze, construct and desire”. The poetesses are deeply aware of it and they show their disgust against it. They want to escape their personally from being completely overshadowed by someone else’s.

Give me the burning sun of loneliness
For I have withered in the shade of someone else. (Shabnam Shakeel)

The second form is female consciousness. This is the awareness of women about their role as they give birth to life; and then preserve and nurture the life they give birth to. This involves the concept of motherhood. This awareness is shown in the poetry of all the poetesses, though the radicals believe that the consent of the woman to play this role is also important.

But I am a mother,
And if a mother looses all hope,
Then the world would be no more. (Parveen Shakir)

This bright red ‘anchal’,
In the shadow of motherhood
Got entangled in the rose. (Ada Jafferi)

God! You must have know about
This beautiful moment.
You must have believed in
The greatness of this moment,
Yes, your thought is true,
Yes, today I have too,
Given birth to a life. (Parveen Shakir)