View Single Post
Old 14-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
abhisays
Administrator

abhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to abhisays
Default Re: A Complex Problem By Premchand

When the cart driver saw that he was going to lose the whole money if he didn’t give a commission, he was agreed to pay 4 annas to Gharib. Gharib gave him 8 annas, had him put his thumb impression on a receipt for 12 annas and submitted the receipt to the office. When I saw this, I was flabbergasted. This is the same Gharib who, a few months back, was an epitome of simplicity and humbleness – one who didn’t dare ask the peons for his own share of the money, who didn't know how to bribe others, not to say of taking a bribe. When I saw this transformation, I was extremely saddened. Who was responsible for this? Obviously, it was I who taught him the first lesson of arrogance and wickedness. A question arose in my mind -- wasn’t the timidity that let him tolerate injustice from others better than the arrogance with which he tramples upon others. The moment in which I showed him the path to respectability was a bad omen, because what I actually showed him was a dangerous path to his downfall. I sacrificed his self-esteem for his external esteem.