View Single Post
Old 30-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
abhisays
Administrator

abhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond reputeabhisays has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to abhisays
Default Re: Puzzles to puzzle you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
Imagine you are an ant sitting on the face of a Rubik's cube made of cheese. You have been assigned the following task: Eat the whole cube by starting with any subcube on the face. Once you're done with a given subcube, you can move to another subcube which shares a face with the one you just finished. The catch is this: The subcube at the center of the Rubik's cube must be the last subcube eaten.

So the puzzle is: Can you do it?

I think the answer is NO.

Let's divide the rubik Cube (27 pieces)
  • eight 3 faced pieces which are corner Pieces, I will call them '3F'
  • twelve 2 faced pieces ('2F')
  • Six 1 face pieces('1F')
  • And there is one center piece (not visible in rubik Cube, let's call it 'OF')
It is clear that each of the Odd faced piece(3F,1F) is always adjacent to an even faced piece(2F,0F).

So if the ant starts from 3F and after completing 26 pieces, I think it should be at an even faced piece which can't be adjacent to 0F because 0F is also an even faced piece.

That's why the answer should be NO, it is not possible for eat the centre subcube.