View Single Post
Old 27-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death of a Viewer

"Not in the least, darling. I should demand nothing. I said I should threaten an action. If they offered me something not to bring it I should be forced to listen to them. Not only the slur on the noble Bethesda name would be involved but Ewen would be dropped by the party and lose his seat. With two thousand we could carry on. Connie might be good for ten."
"I never thought you were such a blackguard, Ossie."
"I am not. Desperate ills call for desperate remedies, that is all. Can you suggest anything better? You do not want me to drive a bus?"
She did not answer the question. She said, "If Ewen and Gwennie Wren are married Gwen might bring the action against Ewen and me. That would not help you. Lady Bethesda would not pay for mud already thrown."
"Clever of you, Sandra, to have thought of that. I had not overlooked it, but Ewen and Gwen are not married and never will be. I assure you that is a fact. She wants to have a life of her own. So does he. He is ambitious, and as I told you he is tired of her. You cannot have two kings in one castle."
"You are his friend."
"Of course I am! That is what makes it so bad for him to covet my wife."
Again she looked at him as though seeking to read the thoughts behind his smile. She did not doubt the truth of what he said about Ewen and Gwen. His plan would be so foolish if it were otherwise. She spoke slowly.