View Single Post
Old 27-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #16
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death of a Viewer

"Would it surprise you, Major Bennion, if two people, a man and a woman, having mutual interests and engaged in the same sort of work agreed to share a home? Would there be anything wrong in it?"
"I do not know what conclusion a Court would draw. My father designed these places, as I said, for the old and partially disabled. For two young and very able people, each earning a considerable income, to get possession of one of them would appear wrong to most people. It does to me."
"Assuming you were right, Gwennie Wren might not wish to marry me. We do not agree about everything. But we do agree that to have our incomes lumped together and so get lower allowances and a higher rate of tax would not be to our advantage."
"The law in that respect may be bad," Roger said. "If it is you are more responsible for it than we are. Do you think it would be good for you or your father if this came out in court?"
"I see your point," Ewen replied more seriously, "but do you see mine? It suits me to live here and I could not get alternative accommodation at anything like the same figure. Would it alter your views if Gwen left me?"
"That is your affair," Roger said. "We want the accommodation for Daniel Floss."
Ewen pondered for some moments.
"Look here, Bennion, suppose you spent a weekend at Welton Priory, my father's place--or rather, his wife's. You could see Floss and you could also see my father. You could put the case to him and you might suggest he should buy me a house or enable me to take a flat handy for Westminster."