View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

rajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three Sundays in a Week

Capt. Pratt. "Well I have been absent just one year. --- Just one year to-day, as I live --
- let me see! yes! --- this is October the tenth. You remember, Mr. Rumgudgeon, I called, this day year to bid you good-bye. And by the way, it does seem something like a coincidence, does it not --- that our friend, Captain Smitherton, here, has been absent exactly a year also --- a year to-day!"

Smitherton. "Yes! just one year to a fraction. You will remember, Mr. Rumgudgeon, that I called with Capt. Pratol on this very day, last year, to pay my parting respects."
Uncle. "Yes, yes, yes --- I remember it very well --- very queer indeed! Both of you gone
just one year. A very strange coincidence, indeed! Just what Doctor Dubble L. Dee would denominate an extraordinary concurrence of events. Doctor Dub ---"

Kate. [Interrupting.] "To be sure, papa, it is something strange; but then Captain Pratt and Captain Smitherton didn't go altogether the same route, and that makes a difference, you know."

Uncle. "I don't know any such thing, you huzzy! How should I? I think it only makes the matter more remarkable, Doctor Dubble L. Dee ---

Kate. Why, papa, Captain Pratt went round Cape Horn, and Captain Smitherton doubled the Cape of Good Hope."

Uncle. "Precisely! --- the one went east and the other went west, you jade, and they both have gone quite round the world. By the by, Doctor Dubble L. Dee ---

Myself. [Hurriedly.] "Captain Pratt, you must come and spend the evening with us tomorrow --- you and Smitherton --- you can tell us all about your voyage, and well have a game of whist and ---

Pratt. "Whist, my dear fellow --- you forget. To-morrow will be Sunday. Some other evening ---

Kate. "Oh, no. fie! --- Robert's not quite so bad as that. To-day's Sunday."
Uncle. "To be sure --- to be sure!"