View Single Post
Old 31-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #165
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Best American Humorous Short Stories

"Missis Fluker," said Sim, rising instantly, "wait jest two minutes till I see Mr. Pike on
some pressin' business; I won't keep you over two minutes a-waitin'."

He took her, set her down in a chair trembling, looked at her a moment as she began to
weep, then, going out and closing the door, strode rapidly to the bar-room.

"Let me help you settle your board-bill, Mr. Pike, by payin' you a little one I owe you."

Doubling his fist, he struck out with a blow that felled the deputy to the floor. Then
catching him by his heels, he dragged him out of the house into the street. Lifting his foot
above his face, he said:

"You stir till I tell you, an' I'll stomp your nose down even with the balance of your mean
face. 'Tain't exactly my business how you cheated Mr. Fluker, though, 'pon my soul, I
never knowed a trifliner, lowdowner trick. But I owed you myself for your talkin' 'bout
and your lyin' 'bout me, and now I've paid you; an' ef you only knowed it, I've saved you
from a gig-whippin'. Now you may git up."