View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
jitendragarg
Tech. Support

jitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant future
Default Re: Windows 8.1 Preview & Download

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetpremi View Post
Noted.
In any case, my laptop is quite old.
I am still running Windows Vista.
When I get a new laptop, after the lifetime of the present laptop, I will get the latest Windows system.
No point in disturbing my present set up, which is running smoothly.
Also, Windows 8.1 must be having minimum hardware requirements.
Unless one checks if the system is capable of benefiting from Windows 8.1, I don't advise tinkering with a working OS, whatever it is.
I understand, unless one is using a touch screen, Windows 7 is good enough, stable and safe? There may be no real need to upgrade to Windows 8.
Am I right?

New is always better -- Bill Gates.

It has been too long, since vista launch. You will see a lot of performance boost. For old laptop, I will say go for it, considering you are on Vista. There aren't any special requirement, so if you can run vista, you can run windows 8 much better.

But, if you are on windows 7, there is not much point in upgrading. If you get it for free, go for it, or else just wait for a while.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just in case, you want to know advantages over vista (few of these are in windows 7 as well):

1) You can pause copy/move actions. It displays a graph and speed properly, so much less guessing.
2) You can pin programs to taskbar, so that everything you need is one-click away.
3) Mount/burn iso natively. No need for any iso program.
4) Comes with built-in antivirus and malware protection.
5) Automatic maintenance keeps system clean. No disk defragmentation, removing old files or registries. So, no need of any system cleaner software.
6) Comes with PDF reader, News reader, Stock prices reader, Mail, facebook/twitter app, weather app, 2 different media players (one for quick usage, and the classic one)
7) Commonly opened files can be opened from taskbar icon. Have word open, and need to open a document, just right click.
8) Supports IE11 with built in flash player, html 5 player, proper tab support, download manager, and hundreds of performance improvement.
9) You can pin a website, folder, and even a file on start screen / taskbar. Pin myhindiforum, and it will get its own icon.
10) Supports connected stand-by. No need to shutdown, just close the lid and put on standby. After 3 hours (approx. 2% battery use), it will automatically hibernate. Open the lid, and back in few seconds (even if it hibernated, takes me 5 seconds), right where you left off.

11) Hit window key, and type for instant search result. Works for files, programs, settings, contacts (facebook, twitter, gmail, Skype), news, weather, and most apps. (My personal favourite feature)

These are some things you will notice right away. Other than these, very fast boot time (9 second on my laptop vs. 30 seconds with win 7), 10-20% performance improvement, less ram requirement, and of course better security. You will also be able to use small apps (tablet like apps in similar interface), but won't ever need to. There are a lot of games to try though.

Not having start button to click will be difficult to adjust at first, so I will suggest downloading start8 or other such tool. So, if your laptop is old and you are on vista, you should try windows 8.

P.S. Technical talk, hence the use of English. I hate typing technical words in Hindi as they make no sense.