View Single Post
Old 30-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #25
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Best American Humorous Short Stories

Without despairing, however, I undertook the siege of a less implacable heart. The fates
were again propitious for a brief period, but again a trivial incident interfered. Meeting
my betrothed in an avenue thronged with the elite of the city, I was hastening to greet her
with one of my best considered bows, when a small particle of some foreign matter
lodging in the corner of my eye rendered me for the moment completely blind. Before I
could recover my sight, the lady of my love had disappeared--irreparably affronted at
what she chose to consider my premeditated rudeness in passing her by ungreeted. While
I stood bewildered at the suddenness of this accident (which might have happened,
nevertheless, to any one under the sun), and while I still continued incapable of sight, I
was accosted by the Angel of the Odd, who proffered me his aid with a civility which I
had no reason to expect. He examined my disordered eye with much gentleness and skill,
informed me that I had a drop in it, and (whatever a "drop" was) took it out, and afforded
me relief.