View Single Post
Old 13-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

rajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Country Doctor

Take his clothes off, then he'll heal,
and if he doesn't cure, then kill him.
It's only a doctor; it's only a doctor.

Then I am stripped of my clothes and, with my fingers in my beard and my head tilted to one side, I look
at the people quietly. I am completely calm and clear about everything and stay that way, too, although it is
not helping me at all, for they are now taking me by the head and feet and dragging me into bed. They lay me against the wall on the side of wound. Then they all go out of the room. The door is shut. The singing stops.

Clouds move in front of the moon. The bedclothes lie warmly around me. In the open space of the windows
the horses' heads sway like shadows. “Do you know,” I hear someone saying in my ear, “my confidence in
you is very small. You were shaken out from somewhere. You don't come on your own feet. Instead of
helping, you give me less room on my deathbed. The best thing would be if I scratch your eyes out.” “Right,”
I say, “it's a disgrace. But now I'm a doctor. What am I supposed to do? Believe me, things are not easy for me either.”

>>>