View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Call Mr. Fortune : A Thriller

"Don't be an ass," said Reggie. He put the glass down, took up the bottle of tablets, turned them out on a sheet of paper, and began to count them.
"Good Lord!" said Superintendent Bell. "You laid for him, did you? What a plant!"
"You know, you're an impertinence," Reggie said, and went on counting.
"I'll get on to Mr. Lomas, sir," said the Superintendent humbly.
"Don't you telephone or I'll scrag you."
"Telephone? Not me. I say, sir, you're some doctor." He fled.
Reggie finished his counting and whistled. "He did himself proud," said he. " The blighter!" He shot the tablets back into their bottle, found another bottle and poured into it the solution, and locked both away. "Number one," he said, with satisfaction. "Now for number two." He went off to his patient and spent a placid half-hour chatting with the day nurse on dancing in musical comedy. But it was hardly half an hour before the Archduchess tapped at the door.
Reggie opened it. '' This way, if you please, madame." He led the way to his room. "I have something to say." She stood before him, fierce, defiant, and utterly wretched. "I can promise you that the Archduke will recover consciousness."
She caught at her breast. "He - he will live?" It was the most piteous cry he had ever heard.
"He will live, madame!"
She trembled, swayed, and fell. Reggie grasped at her, took her in his arms, and put her in a chair and waited frowning... She panted a little and began to smile. Then faintly, softly, "No, no. No more now. Ah, dearest." It was in her own language. She opened heavy eyes. " What is it? "