View Single Post
Old 30-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #154
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

rajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heidi, the Girl from the Alps

But Clara would not let him go until she had given him endless messages for Heidi, and had explained all he was to look at so as to give her an exact description on his return. Her presents she would send round later, as Fraulein Rottenmeier must first help her to pack them up; at that moment she was out on one of her excursions into the town which always kept her engaged for some time. The doctor promised to obey Clara’s directions in every particular; he would start some time during the following day if not the first thing in the morning, and would bring back a faithful account of his experiences and of all he saw and heard.

The servants of a household have a curious faculty of divining what is going on before they are actually told about anything. Sebastian and Tinette must have possessed this faculty in a high degree, for even as the doctor was going downstairs, Tinette, who had been rung for, entered Clara’s room.

“Take that box and bring it back filled with the soft cakes which we have with coffee,” said Clara, pointing to a box which had been brought long before in preparation for this. Tinette took it up, and carried it out, dangling it contemptuously in her hand.

“Hardly worth the trouble I should have thought,” she said pertly as she left the room.

As Sebastian opened the door for the doctor he said with a bow, “Will the Herr Doctor be so kind as to give the little miss my greetings?”

“I see,” said the doctor, “you know then already that I am off on a journey.”

Sebastian hesitated and gave an awkward little cough. “I am–I have–I hardly know myself. O yes, I remember; I happened to pass through the dining-room and caught little miss’s name, and I put two and two together–and so I thought–”

“I see, I see,” smiled the doctor, “one can find out a great many thinks by thinking. Good-bye till I see you again, Sebastian, I will be sure and give your message.”
rajnish manga is offline   Reply With Quote