View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

rajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three Sundays in a Week

Pratt. "I beg both your pardons --- but I can't be so much mistaken. I know tomorrow's Sunday, because ---"

Smitherton. [Much surprised.] "What are you all thinking about? Wasn't yesterday, Sunday, I should like to know?"

ALL. "Yesterday indeed! you are out!"

Uncle. "To-days Sunday, I say --- don't I know?"

Pratt. "Oh no! --- to-morrow's Sunday."

Smitherton. "You are all mad --- every one of you. I am as positive that yesterday was Sunday as I am that I sit upon this chair."

Kate. [jumping up eagerly.] "I see it --- I see it all. Papa, this is a judgment upon you, about --- about you know what. Let me alone, and I'll explain it all in a minute. It's a very simple thing, indeed. Captain Smitherton says that yesterday was Sunday: so it was; he is right. Cousin Bobby, and uncle and I say that to-day is Sunday: so it is; we are right.

Captain Pratt maintains that to-morrow will be Sunday: so it will; he is right, too. The fact is, we are all right, and thus three Sundays have come together in a week."

Smitherton. [After a pause.] "By the by, Pratt, Kate has us completely. What fools we two are! Mr. Rumgudgeon, the matter stands thus: the earth, you know, is twenty-four thousand miles in circumference. Now this globe of the earth turns upon its own axis --- revolves --- spins round --- these twenty-four thousand miles of extent, going from west to east, in precisely twenty-four hours. Do you understand Mr. Rumgudgeon? ---"

Uncle. "To be sure --- to be sure --- Doctor Dub ---"