View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
bindujain
VIP Member

bindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond reputebindujain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inspirational real life stories of Indians

Indian Man, Jadav Payeng, Single-Handedly Plants A 1,360 Acre Forest In Assam

An Indian man has single-handedly grown a sprawling forest on a 1,360 acre (550-hectare) sandbar in the middle of the Brahmaputra. It now has many endangered animals, including at least five tigers, one of which bore two cubs recently.

It all started way back in 1979 when floods washed a large number of snakes ashore on the sandbar. One day, after the waters had receded, Payeng , only 16 then, found the place dotted with the dead reptiles. That was the turning point of his life.

"The snakes died in the heat, without any tree cover. I sat down and wept over their lifeless forms. It was carnage . I alerted the forest department and asked them if they could grow trees there. They said nothing would grow there. Instead, they asked me to try growing bamboo. It was painful, but I did it. There was nobody to help me. Nobody was interested,"

Source: http://www.greatnewsnetwork.org/inde...rest_in_assam/