View Single Post
Old 28-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Best American Humorous Short Stories

Monsieur Poopoo pricked up his ears at this, and was lost in astonishment. This was a
much easier way certainly of accumulating riches than selling toys in Chatham Street,
and he determined to buy and mend his fortune without delay.
The auctioneer proceeded in his sale. Other parcels were offered and disposed of, and all
the purchasers were promised immense advantages for their enterprise. At last came a
more valuable parcel than all the rest. The company pressed around the stand, and
Monsieur Poopoo did the same.
"I now offer you, gentlemen, these magnificent lots, delightfully situated on Long Island,
with valuable water privileges. Property in fee--title indisputable--terms of sale, cash--
deeds ready for delivery immediately after the sale. How much for them? Give them a
start at something. How much?" The auctioneer looked around; there were no bidders. At
last he caught the eye of Monsieur Poopoo. "Did you say one hundred, sir? Beautiful lots-
-valuable water privileges--shall I say one hundred for you?"
"Oui, monsieur; I will give you von hundred dollar apiece, for de lot vid de valuarble
vatare privalege; c'est ça."
"Only one hundred apiece for these sixty valuable lots--only one hundred--going--going--
going--gone!"
Monsieur Poopoo was the fortunate possessor. The auctioneer congratulated him--the
sale closed--and the company dispersed.