Go Back   My Hindi Forum > Art & Literature > English Literature
Home Rules Facebook Register FAQ Community

Old 26-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
neelam
Diligent Member

neelam has a spectacular aura aboutneelam has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Stories from Panchatantra

The Fox feared by the Lion

Once upon a time there was a lion and a lioness in a dense forest. The couple gave birth to two cubs in due course of time. The lion asked the lioness to stay at home and take care of the cubs. One day the lion could not hunt any animal but found a little fox on the way home. He took it home as a gift for the lioness. The lioness brought the fox kid with the same love as her own cubs. The three young animals grew and played together. One day the children saw an elephant. The lion cubs wanted to fight the elephant. But the fox kid was frightened and asked them to run away. So they ran away and went to the mother lioness.

The lion cubs told the story to her. She laughed at the fox kid. At this the fox kid was offended and in a rage challenged the lioness as to why she called it a coward. The lioness replied, "What's wrong with eating an elephant? You feel like that only because you're not a lion kid. You are the child of a fox. Your breed never eats elephants. If you cannot be bold please leave us and go live with your tribe." The fox kid did not want to live there any longer and left for the forest.
neelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
neelam
Diligent Member

neelam has a spectacular aura aboutneelam has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Stories from Panchatantra

The Brahmin's Gift

Once there lived a pious brahmin in a village. He used to perform religious rituals. On one occasion he was rewarded with a cow by a rich man for his service. The brahmin started to bring the cow to his home. On the way, three rogues saw the brahmin bringing the cow. They were lazy and wanted to cheat the brahmin so that they could take away the cow. They hatched a plan.

The first person approached the brahmin and said, "Are you a washerman that you're pulling a donkey." The brahmin was annoyed at being mistaken for a washerman. He went on. A little later he was met by the second of the three. The second person asked him why being a brahmin he needed to pull a pig. Now the brahmin was confused but he went on. Some distance later he was met by the third person who asked him why he was pulling along a wild animal. Now the brahmin was totally confused and also afraid. He thought that it was a devil animal which took different forms. He ran away leaving the cow behind. The three tricksters laughed at the brahmin at having obtained the cow from the brahmin.
neelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #23
Piyali

Piyali is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Stories from Panchatantra

Thanks for the great stories. Panchatantra is truly ageless.

I was looking for a few references when I found this, and it has helped me a lot.

Cheers.

Last edited by Dark Saint Alaick; 08-01-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Piyali is offline   Reply With Quote