Home Rules Facebook Register FAQ Community

Old 22-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
raju
Diligent Member

raju has a spectacular aura aboutraju has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Wit Of Tenali Raman

This incident occured much befor Tenali Raman went to Vijayanagaram

THE SAGE

Once the village of Tenali Raman was reeling under severe drought, when no water was left even for drinking and the people were in great difficulties.

When the drought was at its peak, a Sage arrived in the village by chance from somewhere. As the Sage entered the village it had sudden torrential rains.

The superstitious people considered all this as the influence of the Sage. What a miracle! The people started gathering and made offerings to the Sage. Tenali Raman went to the Sage and asked, "Sage please, hope uou know about that old date tree?"

The Sage understood and smiled. The other villagers who were present there were surprised and looke dblankly at Tenali Raman and the Sage. One of them asked, "Raman, we have not been able to understand the meaning of your statement?"

Tenali Raman narrated mockingly, "Once a crow accidentally sat on a date tree, and as it sat a date fell down. All who saw it, said that this crow is the ause for the falling of the date. Likewise when the Sage arrived in the village and rains started, all opined that the rain was brought by him That is why I aske dhim about the condition of the old date tree."

The people had a good laugh on hearing Tenali Raman. The Sage said to Tenali Raman, "You are a very wise and capable person. If you work enterprisingly one day you will be bestowed with lots of money and comforts."
raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
raju
Diligent Member

THE GARDEN - AIR

One day during summer the Maharaja was holding his Court and sweating profusely. Earlier he had been to the garden in the morning where the cool and scented breeze was blowing. When the courtiers discussed the heat, the Maharaja said: "It is quite hot here but was very pleasant in the garden."

Then one of the courtiers suggested: "Your Majesty, why don't you hold the Court in the garden itself?"

The commander of the armed forces objected: "No Sir. It'd would be wrong to hold Court there because of security considerations."

Suddenly the Maharaja said: "Then make arrangements to bring the garden air here too!"

All the courtiers were stunned. How could one bring air from the garden to the Court? But the Maharaja was insistent. Ultimately the courtiers requested Tenali Raman to find a solution to the problem

Tenali Raman immediately asked ten attendants to fan the Court with the help of ten huge fans whose wings were soaked in kewra water. and as the fans began their operation, the air inside the Court also became cool and fragrant.

The Maharaja was pleased but said: "Raman, this is not the garden air but the Court air cooled and scented by your efforts."

Tenali Raman replied: "No Sir. This is the garden air. The air is the same everywhere!"

And Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya had no answer.
Old 22-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
raju
Diligent Member

THE KING'S RECEPTION

Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya took Tenali Raman along with him whenever and wherever he went. This had become a cause of irritation and envy to other courtiers. Once three / four courtiers collectively appealed to the Maharaja in private, "Your Majesty, be kind enough to provide an opportunity to somebody other than Tenali Raman to go out with you."

The Maharaja felt that this request was just. He assured them about taking with him other courtiers also on tours in future.

Once when the Maharaja was going on a tour in disguise to some villages, he took with him two other courtiers dropping Tenali Raman.

After wandering they reached a farm in a village. There was a cottage besides the farm where a few farmers were seen gossiping. the Maharaja and others went near them, aske dfor water and drank it.

The Maharaja enquired from the farmers, "Dear Brothers, is there anybody in your village in trouble? Do you have any grievances with the Maharaja?"

Based on these questions, the villagers felt that these persons were definitely some officials of the Maharaja. They replied, "There is lot peace and prosperity in our village. All the people are happy. They work hard the whole day and sleep blissfully at night. nobody has any problem. Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya treats his subjects as his own children and hence there can be no reason for anybody to be unhappy with the Maharaja."

"What do the villagers think about their king?" enquired the Maharaja.

An old farmer got up and plucked a thick sugarcane and brought it to the Maharaja. showing this sugarcane to the maharaja, the old farmer replied, "Respected Sir, our Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya is very similar to this sugarcane."

Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya was startledon finding his comparison with a sugarcane. He could neither understand the contention of the old farmer, nor could he grasp the villager's opinion about their Maharaja.

He asked his associates, "What is the meaning of this statement of the old farmer?"

Both the courtioers were stunned not knowing what to say. Then one mustered courage to reply, "My Lord! The old man means that our Maharaja is weak like this thick sugarcane, who can uprooted in one jolt whenever anybody so desires, like he pulled out this sugarcane."

When the Maharaja considered the explanation given by his associate he felt it reasonable. He got wild with rage and challenged the old farmer, "You perhaps don't recognise me, as to who I am?"

On hearing the furious words of the Maharaja the old farmer started trembling. Instantly another old man came out of the cottage and said very politely, "My Lord, we have recognised you very well, but feel very sorry that your associates dot know you in reality. My colleauge here wants to say that our Maharaja for the subjects is soft and sweet like sugarcane, but is stringently hard on scoundrels and for the enemies." The old person comleted his talk illustrating it by asevere blow with the sugarcane on a dog.

On concluding his speech, the old man threw away his robe and removed his false beard and moustache as well.

The associates of the Maharaja instantly exclaimed, "So Tenali Raman, you have been chasing us so far?"

Tenali Raman replied, "How could I give up the pursuit? If I had not have followed you, you would have got these simple people killed, besides creating a high tide of anger in the calm ocean like heart of our great Maharaja."

The Maharaja said, "You are right Tenali Raman. It is always painful to be in the company of fools. In future I shall never go out with anybody else other than you."

When the villagers learnt from their conversation that the Maharaja himself has come to their cottage and the person in disguise sitting with them was Tenali Raman, they immediately rushed to arrange for garlands to welcome them.

They brought them a cot and fresh sugarcane juice. the villagers accorded a very warm welcome and grand reception in their honour.

Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya was overwhelmed with such affection from the villagers. The courtiers hurt with the remarks of Tenali Raman and the Maharaja's response had pulle d a long face and brooded in a corner, whereas witty Tenali Raman sitting beside the Maharaja kept smiling softly.
Old 22-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
raju
Diligent Member

How Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya located an absconding Tenali Raman makes an interesting anectode.

THE MARRIAGE OF A WELL

Once Tenali Raman got annoyed and left for an unknown destination, after some altercation with Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya. When he did not return fro many days, the Maharaja got worried and began searching for him. But Tenali Raman could not be traced. The Maharaja then thought of a plan. A public announcement in every village of the Empire was done that the Maharaja is arranging a marriage of the Royal Well. Every Village Chieftain was instructed to attend with all the wells of his village otherwise a penalty of twenty thousand soverigns was to be paid.

Everyone was amazed as to how can a well be carried elsewhere and thought that the Maharaja was up to some mischief.

When this proclamation was heard in the village where Tenali Raman was staying, all the villagers and the Chieftain too got disturbed. Tenali Raman understood that it is a trick from the kind to locate him.

He said to the chieftain, "Please don't worry at all. You have given me shelter for which I will definitely repay you. I shall suggest a solution. Please make arrangements to proceed to Vijayanagaram."

Tenali Raman along with 4-5 villagers left for Vijayanagaram. They halted on the outskirts and one of them went to the Maharaja with a message suggessted by Tenali Raman. When he was ushered into the presence of the Maharaja he said, "Your Majesty, the wells of our village have arrived to attend the marriage. They are waiting outside the city to be received by the wells of this city. Kindly arrange the welcome."

It occured to the Maharaja that it could only be the wisdom of Tenali raman speaking. He enquired, "Speak the truth. who has suggested this to you all?"

The messenger replied, "Your Majesty, an outsider is staying in our village for the last few weeks. He is the person who advised this course of action. He too is waiting with the other villagers outside the city."

The Maharaja himself went and received Tenali Raman with great fanfare. He bid a grand farewell with costly gifts to the villagers.
Old 22-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
raju
Diligent Member

THE SHREWD BUSINESSMAN

Once Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya and Tenali Raman were talking, when the Maharaja asked: "Raman, tell me, persons of which caste are normally more intelllligent and shrewd, and which caste simpleton as a class?"

Tenali Raman immediately answered: "Your Majesty, the businessmen as a class are more intelligent and shrewd and the brahmins are generally simpletons."

The Maharaja objected: "How can you say so Raman? Brahmins are supposed to be more learned and wise and hence more intelligent. And businessmen are generally uneducated and hence not very wise!"

Tenali Raman said; "No Your Majesty. I can prove the veracity of my contention provided you don't interfere."

The Maharaja agreed.

Next day Tenali Raman went to the Rajaguru and said reverentially: "O Rajguru, the Maharaja wants your choti (the lock of hair at the crown left unshaven even when tonsure ceremony is performed among the orthodox Hindus). Are you prepared to have it shaved?"

The Rajaguru was visibly pertubed. How could he get his choti shaved off which was the sign of his religious faith. The Rajaguru was very proud of his thick soft choti and was not prepared to have it shaved. He said: "Well Tenali Raman, I have maintained my choti with great efforts. How can I have it shaved?"

"You can get the price you want for it," Tenali Raman offered.

Now the Rajaguru was in a fix. He never wanted his choti given, but at the same time the lure of gold was difficult to resist. He also wanted to pretend that he gave great value to his choti. At last he said: "Since it is a royal order, I willlll have my chotishaved, even thjough I don't want to do it. As I cannot defy the order, it will be folllowed. But you willlll have to give five gold coins in return."

"No problem. You can get them easily!" said Tenali Raman.

And against five gold coins the Rajaguru alllowed the barber to shave of his well-nurtured and well-oiled choti.

Next Tenali Raman sent for the biggest businessman of Vijayanagaram. He too had a big and thick choti.

Tenali Raman said to him: "The Maharaja needs your choti for some reason. Are you prepared to get it shaved off?"

The businessman replied: "Everything of the state is our Maharaja's property including our lives. His Majesty may take it whenever he wants it. But please remeber one thing that I'm a poor man."

"Don't worry" assured Tenali Raman, "you'd get the proce you demand for your choti."

"That's very kind of you, but...." the businessman said hesitatingly.

Tenali Raman was annoyed and asked' "What but....."

"Actuallllly the issue is very delicate," began the business man cautiously, "It was for this choti that I had to spend ten thousand gold coins in my daughter's marriage. You know my choti symbolises my prestige. Last year when my father died, I had to spend five thousand gold coins in his funeral ceremony for the sake of this choti only. My choti is quiet valuable," concluded the businessman while lovingly caressing his choti.

"It means for this choti you ahd to spend fifteen thousand gold coins. Alllll right, you have the amount from the royal treasury and let the barber shave it off," declared Tenali Raman.

When the gold coins were paid to the businessman, the barber was called in, who began to wet the businessman's choti. and as the barber took out his razor, the businessman said in an authoritative tone: "Be careful, you barber. You know this choti is the Maharaja's property now. Deem it as if you are shaving off the choti of Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya!"

The Maharaja was sitting near and watching this ceremony. Hearing the businessman's remark, he lost his cool. It appeared downright insulting to him to hear someone refer to the shaving of his own choti. The Maharaja said in a thundering voice: "Throw this impertinent businessman out by kicking his bottom."

And the businessman was uncerimoniously thrown out, but he didn't mind as he was richer by fifteen thousand gold coins.

Later Tenali Raman told the Maharaja: "Your Majesty, didn't you see the cunningness of that businessman. He not only received the fifteen thousand gold coins but also amnaged to keep his choti intact. Whereas our Rajaguru, the ace brahmin alllllowed his choti to be shaved off for only five gold coins!"

The Maharaja had to admit that Tenali Raman's contention about the shrewdness of the people belonging to the business class and the simleton nature of Brahmins.
Old 22-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
raju
Diligent Member

As with every successful person Tenali Raman too had many detractors in the court of Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya. They waited for opportunities to demean Tenali Raman and some even went to the extent of defaming him and posing the ears of the Maharaja.

THE DEATH OF TENALI RAMAN

As mentioned, this episode deals with the sad death of Tenali Raman.

The courtiers were very jealous of Tenali Raman and constantly conspired to bring about his downfall from the Maharaja's estimation and favour. A group of courtiers hatched a plot.

One day one of the courtiers said, "Maharaja, you are unduly favouring Tenali Raman. Your Love for him has made you blind to the injustice meted out."

Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya was known as a wise and just king. He asked the courtier to explain. The courtier said, "Your Majesty, if you promise to spare me I will tell all."

The Maharaja assented and the courtier said, "Maharaja, Tenali Raman has become very proud of his proximity to you. Using this as an excuse, he is collecting money from the poor citizens of the kingdom and then reneging on his promises."

The Maharaja knew of the envy his proximity to Tenali Raman aroused in the other courtiers. So he said, "If what you say is true, then the matter ought be looked into. I will personally look into it."

However, the Maharaja did nothing.

Goebbels the Information Minister of teh Third Reich said that if you repeated a falsehood over and over again, people would in due course believe it to be true.

After a few days, the courtier again approached the Maharaja in privacy and made the same complaint. Thereafter in regular frequency, the conspirators made the same allegation either to the Maharaja privately or in teh open court.

As pointed out, if a falsehood is repeatedly uttered as the truth, people will start believing it is true.

In spite of his admiration for and proximity with Tenali Raman, the Maharaja one day told in the court, "Raman, this complaint has been repeated so frequently that there must be some truth in it. There is no smoke without a fire. What do you have to say for yourself."

Next day at the Court Tenali Raman did not appear. After a few hours a crying and tearful messenger came to the court and presented the Maharaja with a letter. He tearfully said, "Your Mjesty, Tenali Raman was so upset with teh accusation that you levelled against him yesterday in open court, that he returned home and consumed poison. He is dead."

The Maharaja was overcome with grief and said, "I was hasty in acusing Tenali Raman. He was a gem of a man and my favourite. I always knew he was honest and scrupulous, but with so many complaints pouring in, what else could I do?"

One by one all the courtiers lamented Tenali Raman's untimely death because of a false accusation. Even the coutiers who had started the vicious campaign regretted thair action and confessed that there was not an iota of truth in what they had said about Tenali Raman.

Suddenly every eye turned upon the messenger who was behaving in a very odd manner. He was tearing his hair. Suddenly the wig came off. He next pulled off his luxurious moustache and lo and behold, it was Tenali Raman who stood before the Emperor.

He bowed and said, "Maharaj, I am extremely sorry for the grief and pain I caused you. I had nothing to say which could prove that I was innocent. Hence I was forced to resort to this subterfuge which ultimately resulted in my acusers acepting that their complaints was without any substance."

Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya was extremely happy. He gave Tenali Raman many gifts and cautioned the guilty courtiers against spreading such carnads in future. "The only reason they were not punished was because Tenali Raman was still alive," said the Maharaja.
Old 22-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
raju
Diligent Member

THE RETURN OF TENALI RAMAN

FOUR SPANS OF SMOKE

Tenali Raman was the favourite of Emperor Krishna Deva Raya and had won much praise, acclaim and rewards from the Emperor because of his ready wit, sharp repartee and high intelligence. As with every sucessful person he had many detractors and most of the courtiers were jealous of his closeness to the Emperor.

One day in the court one of the courtiers rose up and said, "Your Majesty, whenever you want some advice or anything done you ask only Tenali Raman to do it. You do not give us an opportunity to perform the same tasks. Agreed that Tenali Raman has a ready wit and sharp intellect, but Your Majesty the rest of us are not doddering idiots. Please give us a chance to render service to you as you please. Give us a problem and instruct Tenali Raman not to give any advice or solution."

Emperor Krishna Deva Raya, pondered for sometime, his eyes wandering around the court room. His eyes fell on an incense stand on which several incense sticks were burning. The smoke of the incense sticks curled upwards and spread around the room fragrantly.

The Emperor appeared to come to a decision and said, "Tenali, you are not give advoce or solve the problem which I now place before the court." Looking around at the courtiers the Emperor commanded, "Get me four spans (span is the distance between the tip of the thumb and tip of the index finger of a person, usually nine inches) of fragrant smoke from the incense sticks buring at that corner."

The courtiers were flabbergasted - how could one measure the length of the smoke, collect it and present it to the Emperor. The morning wore on. Some of the more foolish courtiers tried to measure the smoke rising from the incense sticks and when it reached a span tried to catch it, but the smoke dissipated and they could not succeed. It was late afternoon. The Emperor was getting testy. He told the courtiers to hurry up and carry put his simple order.

At last the courtiers, angry at displeasing the Emperor gave up and said, "Your Majesty, it is impossible to perform and carry out your order. If Tenali Raman performs it and suceeds in presenting Your Majesty with four spans of fragrant incense smoke, we will acept that Tenali Raman is more intelligent and gifted than us."

The Emperor turned to Tenali Raman and said, "Tenali please collect four spans of fragrant incense smoke from that corner and give it to me."

Tenali Raman requested the Emperor to give him some time and asked for an attendant. When the attendant came, Tenali Raman whispered some instructions into his ears. The attendant bowed and after some time came back with hollow glass cylinder four spans in length. One end of the cylinder was sealed. Tenali Raman took the cylinder and placed it over the smoke rising from the incense sticks. When the cylinder was filled with the incense smoke, he tied the mouth with a piece of cloth and presented the cylinder to the Emperor with a bow.

The Emperor was very pleased at Tenali Raman's presence of mind and while rewarding him praised him and told the gathered courtiers, "Now you see why I depend on Tenali Raman so much. You have all wasted a full day without performing a simple task which Tenali Raman carried out in fifteen minutes."
Old 22-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
raju
Diligent Member

As stated at the beginning of this thread Ramakrishna of Tenali was the Court Jester of Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya, Emperor of the Vijayanagar Empire. Since these tales are almost folk tales various preasentations have been made. I have now decided to go once again to the beginning, since Tenali Raman has returned alive, hale and hearty.

RAMA MEETS KRISHNA DEVA RAYA - Three Act Comedy

Tenali Raman earned his name from the village he lived in. His true name was Ramakrishna and he lived in a village called Tenali, in present day Andhra Pradesh. As a young brahmin, Tenali ramakrishna was a great devotee of Kalikadevi. He had great devotion to her. Once he prayed to her for a whole night. Greatly pleased She appeared before him and directed him to meet Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya and to be the jester in his court.

Tenali Raman visited Vijayanagar. He entered the royal court without permission and interrupted a dance performance. Maharaja Krishna deva Raya became very angry. He ordered his guards to chop off Tenali Raman's head, with a single stoke of the sword. He was put in the prison for the night. He was to be killed in the morning. But witty Tenali Raman's brain was already at work. Next morning the guards came to take him out of his cell for the execution. Tenali addressed them, "Dear friends, I am a Brahmin. I would like to follow the customs corrctly.. Please let me bathe in the Tungabhadra river before I die."

The guards allowed Tenali Raman to do so. After a bath Tenali Raman sat by the riverside to meditate. Just as the guards got ready to do their duty, he said, "Please let me have some food after the bath and prayer."

The guards agreed to this request too. they offered him cocnuts and fruits to eat. After eating the food , the Brahmin got ready for a short nap. the guards were very surprised to see the requirements made by the fearless Brahmin. But as a rule to fulfill the last wish of the condemned, they were bound to agree with him. They allowed him to do so. Tenali Raman the Brahmin slept for a few hours and the guards could not kill him. When he woke up, he asked innocently, "Oh guards! Why haven't you executed me yet? You must do as the Maharaja says. Let me make it easy for you. I'll just go and stand in the river neck deep. I'll shut my eyes and take Lord Rama's name. at that time you can use your swords to cut off my neck."

As arranged, he stood in the water and said loudly, "Jai Shri Rama". The moment he said the last word he dived deep into the river and the guards' swords cut through the air. Tenali Raman came out and said, "The Maharaja ordered you to chop off my neck with a single stroke of the sword. You have used the storke and now take me to the Maharaja.

When the guards brought Tenali raman to the Maharaja and narrated what had happened, he Maharaja smiled to himself. He appreciated Tenali Raman's wit and intelligence, but he did not show it. He ordered the guards to let Tenali Raman be trampled by an elephant.

The guards took Tenali Raman to the outskirts of the city, where they dug a trench and buried Tenali Raman upto his neck and filled up the trench. They then left to get the elephant. Tenali Raman looked around for a way to escape. He saw a washerman with a hunch approaching him. He had a big bundle of clothes in his back. The washerman asked Tenali Raman what he was doing buried in the trench neck deep. Tenali Raman explained, "Friend, I am a washerman like you. I also developed a hunch like yours by carrying loads of clothes. A great vaidya told me to bury myself in this mud. Slowly and slowly my backbone has straigntened now."

The washerman believed Tenali Raman's tale and wished to be cured of his hunchback too. so he dug out the mud and freed Tenali Raman and got himself buried in his place. As the washerman was taking the bundle of clothes to teh palace, Tenali assured him of delivering them at the palace.

Now, the washerman lay buried neck deep in the trench. When he saw the guards leading an elephant in his direction, he started calling for help. the guards heard his cries and noticed that it was someone in the place of Tenali Raman. They freed the washerman and rushed to the palace to inform the Maharaja of the recent escape of Tenali Raman.

On reaching the court, the guards were surprised to see Tenalai Raman in the presence of teh Maharaja. He was narrating his tale of escape and the Maharaja and his courtiers were hjaving a hearty laugh. Maharaja Krishna Deva Raya then said, "Tenali Rmakrishna, you are indeed a clever man. You are hereby appointed a minister in my Court."

But Tenali Raman said, "Your Majesty, I want to be a jester. I do not want to be a royal minister."

The Maharaja grew furious. He shouted, "You thankless fellow, how dare you deny the royal orders! Go away. don't you dare show me your face ever again."

Tenali Ramakrishna bowed low and left the royal court. Next morning the royal court was held as usual. Just then the courtiers saw a strange sight. A person wearing the clothes as all the ministers do, but hehad his face covered with a large earthern pot. Two tiny holes in it helped him to see through the pot.

The Maharaja saw him too, and enquired, "Who are you? What are you doing in this stranmge get up?"

"Your Majesty, I am your royal jester."

"There are no jesters in the royal court," said the Maharaja.

"Actually i am one of your ministers. Yesterday ou told never to show you my face, so I am here but you cannot see my face."

Actually it was Tenali Raman in the strang garb. Seeing an dhearing all this, the Maharaja and the courtiers burst out laughing. The Maharaja embraced the intelligent Brahmin and said, "Okay Tenali Ramakrishna, you win. I hereby appoint you the Royal Jester."

And so Tenali Raman was appointed as a Royal Jester in teh Royal court of Vijayanagar.
Old 22-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #19
raju
Diligent Member

WHY THE CAMEL HAS A HUMP OR TWO

As usual Tenali Raman's ready wit and intelligence had once again saved the prestige of the Vijayanagaram Empire. Emperor Krishna Deva Raya in an expansive mood declared in open court that he was awarding a whole town to Tenali Raman. However, in due course the Emperor forgot his promise and Tenali Raman felt delicate to remind the emperor of his promise. And thus many months passed.

Once an Arab came to visit Vijaynagaram and he came on his camel. There was a huge crowd of onlookers, who were curious to see this strange beast with a pendulous lower lip, double hoofed feet and with humps on its back, about which they had read and heard but never seen. The animal did indeed look akward and clumsy.

Amongst the onlookers were Emperor Krishna Deva Raya and his courtiers. The emperor remarked that the camel was a very funny looking animal and why did have such a big hump on its back? Nobody could answer it, but Tenali Raman with his wit remarked "Your Majesty, I am sure the camel in its previous birth was a king. He had promised one of his courtiers something, probably a city or town as reward, I'm sure it must have been so. But strangely enough he forgot all about it and until his death he didn't fulfill this promise. Henc ehe was reborn as this strange animal, bent over with the unfuilled promise and a big hump on its back to carry the burden of the previous birth."

Everybody including the emperor had a hearty laugh.

However, after some time the emperor started to think, that Tenali Raman does not ususally make such remarks, why has he done so today? Suddenly he remembered the promise he had made to gift Tenali Raman a town. As soon as the party returned returned to the court, Empereor Krishna Deva Raya immediately calle his Treasurer and instructed him to draw up the deed gifting Tenali Raman a town.

Thus Tenali Raman once again gained what was promised to him with his ready wit and presence of mind and the Emperor also kept his promise.