My Hindi Forum

Go Back   My Hindi Forum > Art & Literature > English Literature
Home Rules Facebook Register FAQ Community

Old 27-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #211
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death of a Viewer

"I should say it is quite impossible. There are rooms down there and in the past some antiquarian societies asked to see them. They found little to interest them. It has all been closed for several years."

"The little-ease?" Roger queried.

"The rooms were mostly store-rooms but one or two were found that it was suggested had been punishment or penitential cells. It was not definitely established."

"But is there access to or from them now?" Yeo asked.

"There is not. They were approached by narrow stairs from the old kitchen. That approach is now boarded over and nailed down. It is also covered with linoleum. No access is possible."

"Thank you," Yeo said. "We have no evidence to support any such suggestion, but as it was mentioned I thought we ought to dispose of it. I do not know if there is anything Major Bennion would like to ask you."
Old 27-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #212
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute

"Not on that point," Roger replied, "but I might perhaps say it was whispered among the dwellers in my father's cottages that Miss Wren lived there with your son and that was one of the reasons for our wishing him to go. I did not mention it before and I do not think it need become public now."

"I hope not," Bethesda murmured. "No one told me."

"I can understand that," Roger said sympathetically. "There are two other matters, quite different, I would like to be clear about. I am not well versed in Trade Union procedure but I believe there are certain appointments to which a promising member may aspire. He may become a District Secretary or a Regional Organiser. Then he may be elected to the National Executive which has possibilities of the highest Cabinet rank. I have been told there is likely to be a vacancy shortly in the National Executive and that Ruttle, Gibbons and your son may have aspired to fill it. Could that have created a serious rivalry between them?"

"My son never filled any of the minor posts," Bethesda replied in a slow, deliberate manner. "He may have thought his Ginger Group would be a short cut to the National Executive. He never said so and I do not think it would have served his purpose. I cannot speak in any way for Ruttle or Gibbons."
Old 27-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #213
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

"They, or either of them, might have regarded Ewen as a danger to their prospects?"

"I cannot say."

"Thank you," Roger said. He then reached across the table and took the chart he had originally made of the seats occupied by the parties attending the TV show on the night of the tragedy.

"The other point is more a matter of fact or routine. You will remember I made this sketch after the crime was discovered and before the police took over. You agreed it was correct?"

"I did."

"You occupied the seat number 23, nearest to the door. You would therefore be in the best position for knowing if anyone left the room, or re-entered it, during the show."

"That would be so."

"You are convinced that in fact no one did?"
Old 27-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #214
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

His lordship hesitated. "Convinced is a strong word. My attention was riveted on the picture."

"You were aware when Lady Bethesda turned on the light?"

"We all were."

"She brushed past you, she did not ask you to do it?"

"I hardly remember. The scream a moment later--" Before he could finish the sentence there was another scream. A piercing scream very like the one on the fatal night. But it was not in that room. It came from outside or above. It was prolonged and was followed by hurrying footsteps.

There was a startled silence in the room for some moments.

"See what that is," Yeo said to Allenby.

The inspector rose but, before he could reach the door, it opened and Sergeant Carston appeared. The screams grew louder.

"What is it?" Yeo asked.

"Lady Bethesda," the sergeant said in his stolid way. "You had better come, sir."

"What do you mean? Has she asked for me?"

"She couldn't. She is dead. She has been strangled."
Old 27-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #215
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

21. The Second Tragedy

There was another moment of stunned silence. Then they all rose to their feet, all but Lord Bethesda. He tried to rise but sank back into his chair, Roger went to his side and helped him.

"Where?" Yeo was asking.

"Upstairs," Carston said.

They moved the door, Roger and his lordship being in the rear. They saw on the landing above them that the screams came from Brigid the nurse. Rhoda, her cheeks ashy pale, was holding her, trying to soothe her hysterical weeping. Little Ambrose was with them, not crying but staring with solemn startled eyes as though he could not understand it. Other doors were opened. Ossie Henshaw looked out of the billiards room and a group of the M.P.s and their wives emerged from the dining-room. Sandra and Gwennie Wren were there, too. The front door also was open as the constable on duty outside wished to see what was happening.

Yeo led the way, dashing up the stairs with amazing rapidity for a man of his age and build.
Old 27-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #216
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

"Where is she?" he asked when he reached the little group on the landing.
Rhoda, unable to speak, pointed to the door of what Roger knew to be the night nursery. The superintendent wasted no time on further questions. He ran to the room and what he saw was indeed terrible.
Lady Bethesda, fully clothed, lay on the floor and round her neck was a loose stocking, possibly one of her own as it was similar to those she was wearing and to others hanging on the side of the cot by which she was lying. Her eyes and mouth were open, the former staring into space. Her cheeks were congested, with some make-up unnatural patchy.
Yeo removed the stocking and put his hand to her heart. There was no sign of life.
"Call the doctor immediately," he said to Carston. "Try it," he added to Allenby.
The latter knew what he meant. He knelt by the body and started artificial respiration, at which he was an expert. He was joined by Bellairs who had now arrived. Their efforts were too late. No sign of life or of recovering consciousness responded to their efforts.
Yeo looked slowly round the room, touching nothing. There was no sign of a struggle, though the bed coverlet had been dragged to the floor as though the woman had clutched at it when falling. With it had fallen a little suit, apparently out for the child to change into when he returned. The bed was a short one with rails to the top portion. On one rail hung the other similar stockings. Yeo went back to the landing.
Old 27-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #217
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

"Who found her?" he asked Rhoda.
The girl pointed to Brigid who was still hysterically moaning with an occasional scream. She was in no condition to be questioned.
Yeo returned to the room just as Lord Bethesda, supported by Roger, reached the door and saw what had happened. The old man's legs refused to carry him farther. But for Roger's strong arm he would have collapsed.
"You cannot do anything," Roger said gently. "Better come to your room."
Half led, half carried, Lord Bethesda went to the main bedroom where he sank heavily into a chair.
"Dr. Strange will soon be here," Roger murmured. "I fear there is nothing I can do. Would you like to go to bed?"
"No," the old man said weakly. "Leave me. I will soon be better."
Glancing round the luxuriously appointed apartment Roger saw a flask of brandy on the dressing-table. He poured out a fair portion.
"Better take this," he said. "I will send Rhoda."
He found the girl outside. She had managed in some degree to calm the sobbing nurse and had taken her and little Ambrose to the day nursery. She had then returned to see if she could help her uncle.
Old 27-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #218
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

"Who discovered it?" Roger asked her, repeating Yeo's question.
"Brigid," Rhoda said. She was shaking from the shock but she managed to keep control of herself in a wonderful way. "I saw her come in with Ambrose. She always takes him upstairs to change his things. Then I heard her scream. I ran up and I--I saw it, too."
Her voice broke, but she went bravely on--"Aunt Connie was lying--face downwards. I thought--I thought she had fainted. I turned her over. Then I noticed the stocking. I--I loosened it but I--I knew she was dead. Brigid screamed again and one of the detectives came up. I said he--had better fetch you. Then--I went to Brigid--" Rhoda broke off with a sob.
"It was a terrible shock for you, Rhoda," Roger said gently, "but you did all that was possible. I have taken your uncle to his room. You had better be with him till the doctor comes. But first I would like to see Brigid."
She led him to the day nursery where the nurse was still spasmodically sobbing.
"This is a very sad thing, Brigid," he said, "but we need your help. Do you think you can look after Ambrose for a few minutes, or would you like one of the ladies or one of the maids to be with you?"
"M-Merid" she muttered.
Merid was a chambermaid who normally assisted in looking after the little boy. Roger said she should come. He did not speak to Ambrose but put his hand softly on his head.
Old 27-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #219
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

"Mummie ill?" the boy asked.
"Very, very ill," was the reply. "You must be good and very brave."
"Chief White Bull," Ambrose said, remembering the name Roger had called him.
"Yes, as brave as Chief White Bull." He moved to the door and then turned back.
"Did you meet or see anyone, Brigid, when you returned from your walk and came upstairs?"
"I s-saw one gentleman. I--I don't know his n-name. The one with the long hair and the b-beard."
Jeremiah!
"Where was he?"
"N-near the bottom of the stairs."
"Did you see him, Rhoda?"
"No. I was in my room. I saw Brigid and Ambrose pass the window. I did not go out until I heard the scream."
"How soon after?"
"Almost immediately."
"Then you ran up. There was no one about?"
"No one."
Yeo was still in the night nursery waiting impatiently for the doctor. His assistants were busy on their grim task, but when the thread of life is snapped human efforts are unavailing. He had asked everyone else to return to the dining-room.
Old 27-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #220
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

He gazed frowningly out of the window. That this was a second murder there could be no doubt. The sheer audacity of the crime appalled him. Some of what were regarded as the best brains in the C.I.D. had come to the house to elucidate the murder of Ewen Jones and while they were there in full command, and almost under their very noses, this terrible thing had been done.

That the two crimes were connected there could be no reasonable doubt. If he failed to solve the first what would be thought of him were he equally baffled by the second? He could almost hear the sniggers of his underlings. His career would be ended. That must not happen. No one should leave the house until he had torn the truth from them.

Shut Lady Bethesda's mouth! Who had said that? Who had acted upon it--and why?

After what seemed a long time Dr. Strange arrived. He was visibly distressed by this further tragedy in the most eminent family he served. He entered the room and the efforts to restore animation ceased. He made an examination and declared life extinct. Yeo signalled Allenby and Bellairs to withdraw and explained how the body had been found and showed the stocking.

"How long has she been dead?" he asked the doctor who was already busy testing the limbs for rigor and taking the temperature of the corpse.

"About an hour," was the reply. "We cannot be more exact than that."