My Hindi Forum

Go Back   My Hindi Forum > Miscellaneous > Travel & Tourism

Old 17-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
brajesh

brajesh is on a distinguished road
Arrow Tourist places in Mangalore

Mangalore offers some excellent spots for daylong excursions. Dharmastala, situated 75 km east of Mangalore, has a number of Jain bastis including the famous Manjunatha Temple. There's also a 14-m-high Bahubali statue, which was erected in 1973. There is also a museum visiting which will give the visitor some idea of the place. Situated approximately 50 km northeast of Mangalore city is the Venur town. This small town is famous for its eight Jain bastis and the ruins of the Mahadeva temple. An 11-m-high Bahubali statue dating back to 1604 stands on the southern bank of the Gurupur River. Mudabidri has 18 Jain bastis. Situated 35 km northeast of Mangalore, this place is famous for its 15th-century Chandranatha temple, known colloquially as the 1000-pillar hall. Situated 20 km north of Mudabidri is Karkal, famous for its several important temples and a 13 km high Bahubali statue. The Bahubali statue is said to have been completed in the year 1432. The statue is on a small serene hillock on the outskirts of the town. One can get a good view of the Western Ghats from here.

Kadri is another ancient historic spot in Mangalore. The Kadri Temple dating back to about 1068 A.D. with its nine tanks, its square temple, nestling at the foot of the highest hill, draws to Mangalore hundreds of visitors annually. The Lokeshwara bronze statue of the Kadri Manjunatha Temple is tipped to be the best bronze statue in India. On top of the hill King Kundavarma Bhupendra built a mutt, which came to be called 'Jogimutt'. There are some stone caves on top of the hill, which are known as the caves of the Pandavas.

St. Aloysius Church is situated 1 km away from the city's main center. The walls of the church are covered with the paintings of the artist Antony Moshaini of Italy. The church was built in the year 1899-1900. St. Aloysius College Chapel, an architectural gem, comparable with the Sistine chapel in Rome, is situated on lighthouse hill. The special beauty of the chapel is the wonderful series of paintings that virtually cover every inch of the interior roof and walls.

Shri Sharavu Mahaganapathi Temple of Mangalore is known as a pilgrim center and boasts of many sacred temples like Sharavu, Kadri, Mangaladevi, and Kudroli etc. Out of these Sri Sharavu Sharabeshwara - Sri Mahaganapathi Kshetra is an outstanding, pious center of great illustrious history of marathon 800 years.

Kudroli Gokarnath Temple is situated 3 km away from main city area. Recently, this temple has been renovated and now it is one of the tourist attraction places in Mangalore.

Sultan Battery is situated in Boloor 4 km away from Mangalore City. It was built in Black stones by Tipu Sultan to prevent warships to enter Gurupur river. Now the remaining part of the fort is called as Tipu's Well. It is today a deserted spot but its construction is bafflingly exquisite. Although it is a watchtower, it gives the impression of a miniature fortress with its arrangements for mounting cannons all round.
brajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
jitendragarg
Tech. Support

jitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant futurejitendragarg has a brilliant future

NIce info. Thnx for sharing.
Old 20-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
sony

sony has a spectacular aura aboutsony has a spectacular aura about
Question

Why Mangalore is called Mangalore .. is there some connection or similarity between Bangalore and Mangalore..
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
peterthomas

peterthomas is on a distinguished road
Mangalore history provides a wide range of information on the cultural heritage, as well as the physiography of Mangalore. The history and geography of Mangalore provides a vivid picture of the socio-cultural background of Mangalore.

History of Mangalore
Mangalore is known to possess a rich historical past. Mangalore finds reference in the history books written by Ptolemy and Pliny. Both the historians have referred to Mangalore as Mandegora. It is said that Samudraja rewarded Mangalore to Parashurama. It is also believed that many sages namely Vysa, Vashista, Kanva, Vishwamitra, etc, had spent their days meditating in the Sahayadri mountains.

The ancient history of Mangalore proves that till the 14th century, the territory had been the capital of the Alpa Dynasty. From the accounts of Ibn Batuta, it is evident that the territory of Mangalore had been a major trading center. Abdul Rajak, a Persian Ambassador, is said to have passed through Mangalore, on his journey to Vijayanagar. Besides, the inscriptions situated at Moodabidri suggest that the governor of Mangalore was King Mangaras Odeya. Deeva Raaja Odeya is also said to have ruled Mangalore in 1429.

It goes without mention that many dynasties have fought over Mangalore. But among the major dynasties that ruled Mangalore were:

* Kadambas
* Alupas
* Western Chalukyas
* Hoysalas
* Rastrakutas

Kudroli Temple in Mangalore

Moreover, as the history of Mangalore maintains, Mangalore was occupied by the Portuguese in 1520; but, in 1695, the territory was completely ravaged by the Arabs. In 1763, Mangalore was captured by Hyder Ali. Mangalore was annexed by the British in the succeeding years. Later in 1794, Mangalore was again restored by Tipu Sultan; but, with the fall of Seringapatnam, it was again re-conquered by the British. Ultimately, Mangalore became a part of the territory of Karnataka in 1956.

This city of Mangalore is said to have been named after the famous Mangaladevi Temple. This temple, also a tourist spot, is situated 3 km away from main city area. This temple was built by the Ballal family of Attavar in memory of a princess of Kerala. Not much history could be found about this area though the local museum would be a right place to go for the history of this place.

I hope the information is useful..
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________

Last edited by arvind; 02-03-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: External link not allowed.
peterthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
ryancleak

ryancleak is on a distinguished road
Default Re-Tourist places in Mangalore

Hello Friends...

There are several places of tourist attractions in Mangalore. Recently i was in India on a trip with my friend...We both are very keen to see the diverseness of this beautiful country...So,we started our teip from Mangalore....Following are the some places which we have visited..

The Kadri Temple | Chandranatha temple | St. Aloysius Church | Shri Sharavu Mahaganapathi Temple

Ryan Cleak..

Last edited by arvind; 02-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.
ryancleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
ashley

ashley is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Tourist places in Mangalore

Thanks for sharing such a great information regarding the Mangalore.. I am visiting there this year with my family for vacations and I was not aware with the places to visit.. This is a great information for me.. I was wondering to knwo about the near by hotels over there.. Any idea?

Last edited by arvind; 02-03-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: External link not allowed.
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
flylink

flylink is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Tourist places in Mangalore

Mangalore is a great place to visit and have fun.. This is really amazing information which will help me a lot.. I was in search and visited here, I will look forward to it..

Last edited by arvind; 02-03-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: External link not allowed.
flylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
dipu
VIP Member

dipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to dipu
Default Re: Tourist places in Mangalore

nice information

Disclamer :- All the My Post are Free Available On INTERNET Posted By Somebody Else, I'm Not VIOLATING Any COPYRIGHTED LAW. If Anything Is Against LAW, Please Notify So That It Can Be Removed.
dipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
mandricdev

mandricdev is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tourist places in Mangalore

Hi.. Mangalore city is the awesome place for tourist...Want to share some places of tourist interest which i personally like the most.......
  • Sultan Battery: It was built in Black Stones by Tippu Sulthan to prevent warships to enter Gurpur river
  • Kadri Manjunath Temple: Kadri is another ancient historic spot in Mangalore.The Lokeshwara bronze statue of the Kadri Manjunatha Temple is tipped to be the best bronze statue in India.
  • St. Aloysius Church: The walls of the church are covered with the paintings of the artist Antony Moshaini of Italy.
  • Shri Sharavu Mahaganapathi Temple :Mangalore is known as a pilgrim center and boasts of many sacred temples like Sharavu, Kadri, Mangaladevi, Kudroli etc
These four places are my most favorite place in Mangalore. Hopefully it will be little help to all tourist who are planning to visit mangalore.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by arvind; 02-01-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: External link not allowed.
mandricdev is offline   Reply With Quote