My Hindi Forum

Go Back   My Hindi Forum > Art & Literature > English Literature

Old 12-05-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

rajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting Anecdotes from the Past

Interesting Anecdotes from the Past

Here, through this unique thread, we shall be sharing various stories culled out from the fields as diverse as medicine and fraud, and Robin Hood, mice and music, milk and beer-n-pudding, Kings and seers, doctors and humbugs and what not. These anecdotes, by and large, are from countries of Europe and Americas. For this, I am deeply indebted to Gutenberg.org who have made this significant work on the subject available for the benefit of those interested. I am talking about a rare book entitled “The Funny side Of Physic” written by Dr. A. D. Crabtre, MD. The book was first published in the year 1872 and runs into 700 and odd pages. The beauty of the book lies in its scope whereby it not only entertains and informs but also instructs at the same times. Let us now start our journey down the lane.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

rajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting Anecdotes from the Past

Robin Hood & the Priests

A mirth-provoking anecdote is told of Robin Hood and two friars.

One day, Robin disguised himself as a friar, and went out on the highway. Very soon he met two priests, to whom he appealed for charity in the blessed Virgin’s name.
“‘That we would do, were it in our power,’ they replied.

“‘I fear you are so addicted to falsehood, I cannot believe that you have no money, as you say. However, let us all down on our marrow bones, and pray the Virgin to send us some money.’

“‘No, no,’ replied the priests; ‘it is of no use.’

“‘What! have you no faith in your patron saint? Down, I say, and pray.’

“In fear, down fell the two priests, and Robin by their side, and all prayed most lustily.

“‘Now feel in your pockets,’ said Robin, rising.

“‘There is nothing,’ they replied, plunging their hands deep into their cloaks.

“‘Down again, and pray harder,’ shouted Robin, drawing his sword.

“Down they fell, and mumbled over their Latin, but declared the gods had sent them nothing.

“‘I do not believe you,’ said Robin; ‘you ever were a pack of liars. Let each stand a search, that we deceive not each other.’ So Robin turned his own empty pockets wrong side out, then compelled the friars to follow suit, when lo! out fell five hundred pieces of gold.

“When Robin saw this glorious sight, he berated the priests soundly, and taking the gold, went away to Sherwood, and made merry at the expense of the church.”
Old 12-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

The gentleman’s dog

Dr. Meyersbach obtained his diploma in medicine about this time (about 1624 AD) for a few shillings, and without the rudiments of an education, made a splendid living out of the credulity even of the most learned and fashionable classes of English society, and arrived at the height of honor and distinction.
The reader must admit that diplomas were cheap honors, when one was granted to a dog! A young English gentleman, for the sport of the thing, paid the price of a medical diploma soon after Dr. Meyersbach’s was granted, and had it duly recorded in the archives of the college (Erfurth) as having been awarded to Anglicus Ponto.

“And who was Anglicus Ponto?”

“None other than the gentleman’s dog—a fine mastiff.”

But this question was not asked till too late to prevent the joke. It had the good effect, however, to raise at once the price of degrees.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

His last Joke

A celebrated English physician, who was also a distinguished humorist, when about to die, requested that none of his friends be invited to his funeral.

A friend inquired the reason of this remarkable request.

“Because,” sighed the dying but polite humorist, “it is a courtesy which can never be returned.”
Charles Matthews, the celebrated comedian, who died in 1837, put the above entirely in the shade by his last joke.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

Medicine, Ink and the Blotting Paper

The attending physician had left Mr. Matthews some medicine in a vial, which a friend was to administer during the night. By mistake, he gave the patient some ink from a vial which stood near. On discovering the error, his friend exclaimed, “O, gracious Heavens, Matthews, I have given you ink, instead of medicine.”

“Never—never mind, my dear boy,” said the dying man faintly; “I will swallow a piece of blotting paper.”

Old 12-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

Tooth Drawing

A snobbish-appearing individual accosted a countryman in homespun with the following interrogation:—

“I say, ah, my fraand, are you sufficiently conversant with the topography of this neighborhood to direct me to the nearest disciple of Æsculapius, eh?”

“What?” exclaimed the astonished rustic.

“Can you familiarize me with the most direct course to a physician?”

“Hey?”

“Can you tell me where a doctor lives?”

“O, a doctor’s house. Why didn’t you say so before?”
Old 12-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

Time and Cure
(Thief and the magistrate)

A good-looking and gentlemanly-dressed fellow was arraigned on the charge of stealing a watch, which watch was found on his person. It was his first offence, and he pleaded, “Guilty.” The magistrate was struck with the calm deportment of the prisoner, and asked him what had induced him to take the watch.

“Having been out of health for some time,” replied the young man, sorrowfully, “the doctor advised me to take something, which I accordingly did.”

The magistrate was rather amused with the humor of the explanation, and further inquired why he had been led to select so remarkable a remedy as a watch.

“Why,” replied the prisoner, “I thought if I only had the time, Nature might work the cure.”
Old 12-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

The Seer’s Wife
(Prediction of a victory)

When Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., landed at Milford-Haven, on his memorable march to his successful encounter with Richard III., then at Bosworth Field, he consulted a celebrated Welsh seer, who dwelt in magnificent style at a place called Matha Farm. To the duke’s question as to whether he should succeed or not, the wily seer, whose name was Davyd Lloyd, requested a little time in which to consider so important a query.

As Richmond lodged that night with his friend Davyd, he gave him till the following morning to make up his decision, when the seer assured Richmond that he “would succeed gloriously.”

For this wonderful and timely information Lloyd received immense rewards at the hand of his grateful prince when he became King Henry VII.

Now for the secret of his success: During the time granted for the answer, Davyd, in great perplexity and trepidation, consulted his wife, instead of the heavens, for an answer. See the wisdom of the reply.

“There can be no difficulty about an answer. Tell him he will certainly succeed. Then, if he does, you will receive honors and rewards; and if he fails, depend on’t he will never come here to punish you.”

Old 12-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

CHILDREN CONSULTING A FORTUNE-TELLER

“Does he love me?”
Young girls and children are seduced into visiting fortune-tellers. A Boston fortune-teller, in 1871, took a summer tour through Eastern Massachusetts and New Hampshire. At Manchester, one evening, some one knocked lightly at her reception-room door, when, on her answering the summons, there stood three little girls, of ten or twelve summers.

“Well,” said the lady, “what do you children want?”

“We came to have our fortunes told,” replied the youngest, drawing her little form up to represent every half inch of her diminutive dimensions. With a smile of incredulity, the lady said, “It costs fifty cents. Besides, you are too small to have a fortune told.”

“We’ve got the money,” replied the little speaker; “and we’re not too little. Why, I am ten, and Jenny, here, is twelve.”

“Well, come in,” replied the fortune-teller. There was a lady present, who also asked what those children came there for.

The girls sat up in some chairs proffered. The younger one was so small that her little feet could not reach the floor, and sitting back in her chair, her little limbs stuck out straight, as such awkward little folks’ will.
>>>
Old 12-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

<<<
The woman told them something, to seem to cover the money paid. It was not satisfactory, however, and the ten-year-old one put the following questions:—

“Do you think, ma’am, that the young man who is keeping company with me loves me?”

This was a poser, and the woman laughed outright.

“What did she reply?” I asked, shocked, though amused, by the ridiculousness of the whole affair.
“O, Gad, if I know! I was too busy then to listen.”

The next question was more strange than the first:—

“Will the young gentleman marry me, eventually?”

“Doubtless he will when you become older,” was the reply; “and I advise you to think no more about it till you are much older.”

I obtained this item from the third party present, the husband of the fortune-teller.