My Hindi Forum

Go Back   My Hindi Forum > Art & Literature > English Literature

Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

rajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pin drop silence

PIN DROP SILENCE
(EXPLAINED THROUGH HISTORY)

In the following posts, you will come across certain events separated by time and space but bringing about the same end-result. All three conversational events narrated here depict remarkably witty and forceful replies (repartee) that silenced the assertive persons bringing about immediate and true "PIN DROP SILENCE". A few young Readers of this email may perhaps not be familiar with the locale of ":Omaha Beach". Actually it was the beach of Normandy province of France along English Channel, where Allied Forces (mainly American and British), landed amphibiously and invaded with huge strength and formations to liberate France (and then whole of Europe from Germany) on June 6, 1944, which is regarded as D-Day.

Last edited by rajnish manga; 11-12-2014 at 11:12 AM.
rajnish manga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

rajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond reputerajnish manga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pin drop silence

PIN DROP SILENCE

Take 1:

Field Marshal Sam Bahadur Maneckshaw once started addressing a public meeting at Ahmedabad in English. The crowd started chanting, "Speak in Gujarati. We will hear you only if you speak in Gujarati." Field Marshal Sam Bahadur Maneckshaw stopped. Swept the audience with a hard stare and replied, "Friends, I have fought many a battle in my long career. I have learned Punjabi from men of the Sikh Regiment; Marathi from the Maratha Regiment; Tamil from the men of the Madras Sappers; Bengali from the men of the Bengal Sappers, Hindi from the Bihar Regiment; and even Nepali from the Gurkha Regiment. Unfortunately there was no soldier from Gujarat from whom I could have learned Gujarati.".....

You could have heard a pin drop …..

Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

PIN DROP SILENCE

Take 2:

JFK'S Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 60's when Charles DeGaule, the French President, decided to pull out of NATO.

DeGaule said he wanted all US military out of France as soon as possible.

Rusk responded, "does that include the 180,000 who are buried here?"

DeGaule could not respond.

You could have heard a pin drop ----

Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
rajnish manga
Super Moderator

PIN DROP SILENCE

Take 3:

Robert Whiting, an elderly US gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane.

At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on.

"You have been to France before, Monsieur ?" , the Customs officer asked sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.

"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."

The American said, “The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible. Americans always have to show their passports on arrival in France !" , the Customs officer sneered.

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long, hard look.

Then he quietly explained...

"Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach, at 4:40am, on D-Day in 1944, to help liberate your country, I couldn't find a single Frenchman to show a passport to.... "

You could have heard a pin drop...