My Hindi Forum

Go Back   My Hindi Forum > Art & Literature > English Literature

Old 21-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
dipu
VIP Member

dipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond reputedipu has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to dipu
Default Important words of English newspaper with meaning || Editorial words to improve Vocabulary || 21.09.2018

*Important Words from Today's Article*

1. *Word: Retaliatory (प्रतिशोध का)*

Pronunciation: ri-tal-ee-eyt-ory/रीटैल्यटॉरीPart of Speech: Adjective Meaning: (of an action) characterized by a desire for revenge.
Synonyms: vengeful, avenging, retributive Antonyms: forgiving, benevolent Use in a Sentence: He urged people not to resort to retaliatory violence.

2. *Word: Skirmish (झगड़ा / छोटे टुकड़ों में भिड़ना)*

Pronunciation: skur-mish / स्कर्मिशPart of Speech: Noun, Verb Meaning:

a. an episode of irregular or unplanned fighting, especially between small or outlying parts of armies or fleets. [Noun]

b. to engage in a minor battle or dispute. [Verb]

Synonyms: Clash, Fight, Scuffle, Brawl Antonyms: Peace, Accord Use in a Sentence: When the temper of both teams erupted, it resulted in minor skirmishes.

3. *Word: Escalation (तेजी)*

Pronunciation: es-kuh-le-sion/एस्कलैशनPart of Speech: Noun Meaning:

a. a rapid increase; a rise.

b. an increase in the intensity or seriousness of something; an intensification.

Synonyms: increase, elevation Antonyms: reduction, decrease Use in Sentence: A further escalation of the change now seems determined.

4. *Word: Concur (सहमत होना)*

Pronunciation: kuh n-kur/कन्करPart of Speech: Verb Meaning:

a. be of the same opinion; agree.
b. happen or occur at the same time; coincide.

Synonyms: accord, assent Antonyms: dissent, oppose Use in a Sentence: My father concurs absolutely with my decision.

5. *Word: Retreat (निर्णय बदलना)*

Pronunciation: ri-treet/रीट्रीटPart of Speech: Verb/Noun Meaning:

a. an act of changing one's mind or plans as a result of criticism or difficulty. [Noun]

b. (of an army) withdraw from enemy forces as a result of their superior power or after a defeat. [verb]

c. withdraw to a quiet or secluded place. [verb]

Synonyms: recede, depart Antonyms: remain, progression Use in a Sentence: The man made a tactful retreat before they started arguing.

6. *Word: Punitive (दण्डकर)*

Pronunciation: pyoo-ni-tiv/प्यूनिटिवPart of Speech: Adjective Meaning: inflicting or intended as punishment.
Synonyms: harsh, corrective Antonyms: rehabilitative, rewarding Use in a Sentence: The government is expected to take punitive steps against offenders

7. *Word: Wither (नष्ट हो जाना)*

Pronunciation: with-er/विदरPart of Speech: Verb Meaning: fall into decay or decline.
Synonyms: fade, weaken Antonyms: bloom, develop Use in a Sentence: In autumn the leaves wither and fall off the trees.

8. *Word: Ratchet up (बढ़ावा)*

Pronunciation: rach-it -up/रैचट अपPart of Speech: Phrasal verb with Ratchet Meaning: to increase something over a period of time
Synonyms: surge, boost Antonyms: decline, drop Use in a Sentence: The debate should ratchet up awareness of the problem among members of the general public.

9. *Word: Fly in the face of (के स्पष्ट विपरीत होना)*

Part of Speech: Phrase of fly Meaning: be openly at variance with (what is usual or expected).
Synonyms: call out, challenge Antonyms: pay attention, take advice Use in a Sentence: You can't fly in the face of business rules and expect to be successful.

10. *Word: Stave off (निवारण करना)*

Part of Speech: Verb Meaning: to avert or hold off (something undesirable or harmful), esp temporarily
Synonyms: obviate, avoid Antonyms: foster, take a look Use in a Sentence: We were hoping to stave off these difficult decisions until January.

11. *Word: Up (or raise) the ante (विद्रोह ग्रस्त )*

Part of Speech: Phrase of ante Meaning: increase what is at stake or under discussion, especially in a conflict or dispute.
Synonyms: raise the bar, Antonyms: lower standards Use in Sentence: I think the situation did up the ante quite a bit.

Weekly Current Affairs One Liners || Important weekly current affairs: Competition Exams 2018 || : Download in PDF

12 *Word: Parochialism (संकीर्णता)*

Pronunciation: puh-roh-kee-uh-liz-uh m/परोकीअलिज़्मPart of Speech: Noun Meaning: a limited or narrow outlook, especially focused on a local area; narrow-mindedness.
Synonyms: prejudice, separation Antonyms: open-mindedness, accomplishment Use in a Sentence: There is no room for parochialism in our model of the future

Download in PDF : vocabulary.pdf - 273 KB

Disclamer :- All the My Post are Free Available On INTERNET Posted By Somebody Else, I'm Not VIOLATING Any COPYRIGHTED LAW. If Anything Is Against LAW, Please Notify So That It Can Be Removed.
dipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:17 AM   #2
stone

stone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Important words of English newspaper with meaning || Editorial words to improve Vocabulary || 21.09.2018

Here's an English Hindi dictionary I found quite helpful while reading English newspapers

https://www.hindlish.com

Just for your reference
stone is offline   Reply With Quote