My Hindi Forum

Go Back   My Hindi Forum > Art & Literature > English Literature
Home Rules Facebook Register FAQ Community

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Dark Saint Alaick
Super Moderator

Dark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond reputeDark Saint Alaick has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Best American Humorous Short Stories

No book is duller than a book of jokes, for what is refreshing in small doses becomes nauseating when perused in large assignments. Humor in literature is at its best not when served merely by itself but when presented along with other ingredients of literary force in order to give a wide representation of life. Therefore 'professional literary humorists', as they may be called, have not been much considered in making up this collection. This thread does not aim to contain all 'the best American humorous short stories'; there are many other stories equally as good, I suppose, in much the same vein, scattered through the range of American literature. I have tried to keep a certain unity of aim and impression in selecting these stories. In the first place I determined that the pieces of brief fiction which I included must first of all be not merely good stories, but good short stories. I put myself in the position of one who was about to select the best short stories in the whole range of American literature, but who, just before he started to do this, was notified that he must refrain from selecting any of the best American short stories that did not contain the element of humor to a marked degree. But I have kept in mind the wide boundaries of the term humor, and also the fact that the humorous standard should be kept second--although a close second--to the short story standard. In view of the necessary limitations, I could not hope to represent all periods of American literature adequately, nor was this necessary in order to give examples of the best that has been done in the short story in a humorous vein in American literature. Probably all types of the short story of humor are included here, at any rate.

Last edited by Dark Saint Alaick; 28-04-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Dark Saint Alaick is offline   Reply With Quote